About 55-70% of your total calories in your pre- and post-exercise meal should come from carbohydrates (CHO) such as pastas, fruits, rice, breads, cereals, etc. The longer your activity the greater the percentage of CHO. Meaning a marathoner might consume 70% CHO and while athletes participating in more anaerobic-type sports like football, basketball, weight lifting, etc. may do fine with as low as 50-55%.
If you hydrated and planned your pre-activity meal correctly, consuming it 2-3 hrs before exercise, you shouldn't need to consume any carbohydrates during the activity unless it lasts longer than an hour, in which case you could consume a sports drink containing ~8% carbohydrate. Immediately after exercise, in order to maximize results including recovery, you should consume a post-workout shake containing both CHO and protein (see below for proper timing of meals and pre/post shakes).
Using the dotFIT program, you can design your ideal sports nutrition plan including perfect athletic menus individualized for you with proper protein requirements, meal timing and complete food plans with the correct mix of protein, fats and carbohydrates. Simply fill in your personal statistics including age, set your weight/performance goal and create your program. The program will also automatically give you pre- and post-event eating plans including instructions.
Training meals and supplement timing instructions:
• Pre-training/event full food meal consumed ~2-3 hours before your major activity
– If your activity is first thing in the morning with no time for complete digestion of a full meal, use pre-workout formula only but eat your pre-game meal before bedtime
• Pre-workout shake/bar: consume 10-40 min before activity
• Post- workout shake/bar (same formula as the pre): immediately after workout
• Post-training/event full food meal consumed ~1-2HRS post training
dotFIT Pre/Post Meal Replacement & Workout Formula
• Take 2 scoops 10-40 minutes before workout or use favorite dotFIT® bar for convenience
• Take 2 scoops (or dotFIT bar) immediately post workout